What is the MDCS “Welcome Program”?
We here at Maria Droste Counseling Services know only too well the harm that substance use problems (and other compulsive behaviors like gambling) can cause individuals, couples and their families. We have designed a “Welcome Program” specifically for those who wonder if substance use and other addiction issues are indeed impacting their lives and how change can happen NOW. This time-limited psycho-educational group will run for five weeks, currently on Tuesday Mornings but as demand increases, an evening series will be offered.
Many of the questions people ask include:
- “How do I know if I have a problem with alcohol and/or drugs?”
- “How can change happen and is it too late?”
- “Why does my spouse/family member or loved one use drugs/alcohol or gamble despite how upset I am that they do?”
- “Why do I do this to myself and hurt others I love?”
- “How did I get here?”
Who would find this program most helpful?
- Program offered to men and women, 18 + who are at risk of or concerned that addiction is having an impact in any ONE area of their lives (physical, work, legal, social, family etc…).
Program would best suit:
- Individuals referred by probation, RMV or DCF, who have identified substance use issues on intake and are awaiting assignment of therapist at MDCS.
- Individuals and family members who are interested in treatment and recovery but who are not sure where to start.
- Individuals not ready yet to commit to treatment/ regular counseling or fellowship support groups (like AA/Al-Anon) but who want to explore if substance use issues are impacting their lives enough to access further help and support.
- A person in recovery (from their own or another’s addiction) who wants to learn more about addiction and how to make good choices or make some changes further in their lives.
- Anyone in the community who works with or supports individuals or families struggling with substance use issues/addiction.
- Anyone who has lived with addiction and believes their lives are still being impacted even though they no longer live with or spend time with the person who is/was addicted (Parent, Grandparent, Carer).
What will I get from this program? You will be offered:
- An understanding of what addiction is, how it occurs & the impact it has (health, financial, legal etc…).
- An opportunity to reduce shame and guilt in families/individuals.
- Discover how those struggling with these issues and their families can begin to make changes.
- Explore what treatment and recovery options look like and how to access them.
- Details about all the services Maria Droste has to offer you and your family.
- Guest Speakers tailored for needs of the group including Narcan, Fellowship info and QPR Suicide Prevention.
- A certificate of completion upon attendance at all five sessions will be offered but attendance does not have to be concurrent.
- If a session missed, an opportunity to complete the missed session will be offered. PLEASE NOTE: The certificate of completion cannot be given for partial attendance.
What do I need to do?
- Call 617-542-7654 ext. 203 and ask to speak with Danielle.
- If an attendance report is required along with the certificate of completion, a time will be arranged to invite you to the office to complete release of information forms and other pertinent paperwork BEFORE the beginning of the program.
- Please attend at least 10-15 minutes before start time of session for example: arrive by 9.45 am for Tuesday morning session. All sessions will begin and end on time.
- There is no sobriety time minimum requirement for this program but we do ask all who attend (even those for whom substance use is not an issue) to avoid using alcohol or drugs on the day of the session they attend. Anyone who appears to be under the influence will be asked to return for the next session for their own well-being.
How much does it cost?
Each session will cost the same co-pay as clients would pay for an individual counseling session, as established at intake. Individuals who are not intending to access counseling are encouraged to make a $20 donation or other donation size per week. Attendees are also encouraged, if possible, to pay for the entire 5 week program in advance or at the first session. We request this in order to ensure efficient administration of the program and to begin on time.
PLEASE NOTE: No one will be refused services due to an inability to pay.
Why does Maria Droste Counseling Services offer this program?
- Our experience tells us that education is the first step to understanding what our struggle is and evidence has shown that it is helpful in any future counseling and other services you receive at Maria Droste.
- Maria Droste wants to reduce the harm addiction can cause individuals and their families, especially for those experiencing legal or family issues.
- We believe those who learn more about addiction can then reach out to their families, peers, and co-workers to promote a healthier life-style in order to ensure healthier families and communities.
Maria Droste Counseling Services remains committed to providing accessible, affordable, and timely treatment to children, adolescents, and adults regardless of insurance status.
Call us for more information or to complete your intake today:
Recovery and Healing is Possible